Re: Thin Client Benchmark Testing

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 12:49 -0500, Dave Richards wrote:

> I cleaned up my chart and added new columns to test with the patch
> applied.   I understand Federicos concerns about using gtkperf, but it
> does provide something we can measure instead of just how Evolution
> responds based on my usage.  I did see maybe a very slight increase in
> speed in Evolution, but not a major one.   I marked the widgets that
> seem to gain the most screen from the patch.  Some of

Here's a total shot in the dark.  The widgets that got big improvements
are the ones that cause large areas of windows to be repainted.

GtkComboBox will use a window that pops up and down a bunch of times;
it'll have to be cleared, and the underlying areas will have to be
cleared and repainted as well.

Now that we have an easy way to reproduce this (X -ac -extension
RENDER :2), it should be easy to grab xmon or something and watch the X
traffic:

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmon/

  Federico