make check fails for glib-2.10.1

Hi, I'm having problems with make check.  Make ran without issue, as did
make check to a point.  Warnings were generated when compiling
option-test.c and printf-test.c.  Compiling slice-test.c generated these
fatal errors:
slice-test.c: In function `test_sliced_mem_thread':
slice-test.c:149: parse error before `i'
slice-test.c:153: `i' undeclared (first use in this function)
slice-test.c:153: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
slice-test.c:153: for each function it appears in.)
slice-test.c:154: `ss' undeclared (first use in this function)
slice-test.c:157: `ps' undeclared (first use in this function)
slice-test.c:158: `j' undeclared (first use in this function)
slice-test.c: In function `main':
slice-test.c:255: parse error before `strseed'
slice-test.c:257: `strseed' undeclared (first use in this function)
slice-test.c:260: parse error before `*'
slice-test.c:263: `i' undeclared (first use in this function)
slice-test.c:264: `threads' undeclared (first use in this function)

and dumped me back to the shell.  As near as i can tell, it doesn't like
the guint and guint8 data types.  I think this means that gtypes.h isn't
getting #included properly.  Since glib.h is what #includes that, I
checked there.  I noticed that it uses the <> notation instead of the
direct path, but glib.h doesn't live in /usr/include on my machine.  I
don't have root access on the machine, so i ran make with
--profile=/(homedir)/local.  That works fine with other packages
including a previous version of glib; is this no longer the case?  If
it's something else entirely, what can I do to resolve it?  Thanks in
advance.

Cheers,
Mike