Re: problems with glibc -- please help

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 00:16, Joelle Nakhle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded glibc 2.2.2, pango 1.2.3 and atk 1.2.4 in order to install gtk.  I
> installed glibc and it seemes to have installed properly.  But when i try to
> install pango or atk it tells me:
>

> checking for GLIB - version >= 2.1.3... no
> *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
> *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
> *** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.
> configure: error:
> *** Glib 2.1.3 or better is required. The latest version of
> *** Glib is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

Hi Joelle,

It sounds like you're new to this sort of thing.  After you installed
glibc-2.2.2, did you remember to (as root) run ldconfig?  The problem
may be something as simple as having forgotten to update your library
search path to reflect the new libraries.  I know, because I've had the
same problem.

The test program it's talking about is part of the ./configure script,
and is one of the ways configure figures out what libraries and
capabilities are installed on your system and where to find them.

HTH,
--

--Jeff

Jeff Trefftzs <trefftzs tcsn net>