locales deslocalized?

I repost this mail in the hope of an answer.
The post has to do with the the inability of a GtkEntry for correctly
selecting spanish characters, even when locales are correctly set.

Owen Taylor said me that I had set the correct locale. And my answer
was:

"After your answer I read a little about locales through the info
system.
When I execute gtk programs, the locale command gives the following:
LANG=es
LC_CTYPE="es"
LC_NUMERIC="es"
LC_TIME="es"
LC_COLLATE="es"
LC_MONETARY="es"
LC_MESSAGES="es"
LC_ALL=
So I think the locales are correctly set.
That induced me to investigate a little further. I made the following
program:

#include <stdio.h>

void main()
{
  char c='Ñ';

  if (isalpha (c))
    fprintf (stderr,"The character `%c' is alphabetic.\n", c);
}

With exactly the same locale configuration as before, the program didn't

produce any output (and that wasn't supposed to occur).
So, as you told me that for you the LC_CTYPE=es made GTK behave
correctly, I
am now supposing that I don't have the locales correctly installed on my

system (maybe the C library doesn't support them). But it's strange as
I'm
currently running Redhat 6.0.
If you say that it's not a bug, I believe you, so I won't post this bug
the GTK people.
If you have others things to say, I am open to any comments.

Maybe UNICODE will finish all these silly problems?. I hope so :^)"

Now, does anybody know what is happening, or what's wrong?
Do I post this to the GTK bug system?