Embedding other X apps in a GTK window

I was wondering if I could create a GTK hosted canvas, and 'pass' this
window to another X application to use as it's main window.

eg - On the AfterStep wharf, and similar things, you can create a button
and 'run' xload inside it.

I dont know how to do this in straight X ... is it something to do with
re-parenting ?

I am writing a system admin app that monitors a postgres database. I
would like to add a widget to display an xload output, and possibly a
running instance of 'top' without having to write one from scratch.

If it is possible to run any arbitary X application in a canvas, then we
could have a doom button as well.