Re: Continuing discussion of oaf ...

> But GNOME is not only Open Office and big companies who're able to clearly
> namespace their stuff, we'll also get a lot of hobbyist users of our libraries
> who just hack together some IRC client in their spare time.
>
> When you look at Windows, there are both the big programs and a very, very,
> very large number to shareware-like, user contributed stuff like games.
>
> I expect that the same will happen with GNOME when we're becoming successful,
> we will get a large number of small programs - and their authors don't know
> about each other nor do they want to do all this bureaucratic stuff of
> registering a namespace for their stuff, they just call their programs like
> they want.

I don't think people are this stupid.
If you can write an IRC client, you can namespace it.

You explain in documentation
that you need to namespace it, you have the example code properly namespaced, and
as it's "open source", if problems arise a simple "Hi, your code doesn't work with
A.N.Other's IRC client, because they're both using the same name space for their
bonobo stuff, here's a patch to fix it"

I don't see that the uuid is necessary to provide a unique name. People putting
their name/nick/company into the name should be fine, or have I missed major
issues?

iain (joining a discussion he only has a small idea of whats going on...never a
good thing really)