Re: [Evolution-hackers] syncronizing with almost everything using multisync

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 07:04, Björn Torkelsson wrote:

> You are of course using the remote plugin in multisync to sync your
> evolution at home and at work (more or less) instantly. Why going
> through the phone?

No, I haven't played with that yet. I had a quick look and all it seemed
to be able to do was listen on a TCP port for a later connection. That
doesn't really work when both machines are behind a NAT firewall, and I
don't really want code I don't know much about listening on
publicly-accessible ports anyway.

I need to fix multisync the way I fixed my Evolutions at home and at
work to get each one to talk to the other's local folders by IMAP -- by
using SSH to make the connection.

Unlike anything which wants to make its own TCP connections, SSH is
_perfectly_ happy to connect 'directly' to internal machines for me from
the outside world with something like this in its config file:

	Host *.davesemployer.internal
	  ProxyCommand ssh bastionhost.davesemployer.com netcat %h %p

Then instead of trying to do a DNS lookup and connect directly to
anything in the company-internal domain, it instead logs in to the
public-facing bastion host and runs 'netcat' on that to connect to the
internal machine in question.

Multisync needs to get a 'daemon' mode where it can be invoked from SSH
and communicate over stdin/stdout, just like imap/cvs/bitkeeper/etc.
can; then I'll play with syncing them directly.

--
dwmw2