Re: Yarrr UI

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 00:00 -0500, Seth Nickell wrote:

> Email is based on messages. Chat (IRC, AIM, etc) has many advantages
> but tends to be completely unreadable after the fact (try reading a
> chat log... very painful). We are going to try and get some of the
> cooperative benefits of chat, and then use summarization of the chat
> in order to produce content that is viewable by other people. The goal
> is to both increase the depth of discussions people have (chat is much
> better for this usually) AND to reduce the amount people outside the
> discussion feel obligated to read.

This is interesting. I need to think some about it.

However, one thing that strikes me immediately is that its mostly useful
for discussions that take place in a short timespan, with people around
at the same time. For instance, its clearly not as useful if people are
in different timezones, or if you don't have time for time-consuming
chats when e.g. at work (you might only comment once at lunch and once
in the evening). I wonder how well it will work for such "slower"
discussions.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a genetically engineered crooked firefighter possessed of the uncanny
powers of an insect. She's a disco-crazy kleptomaniac femme fatale looking for
love in all the wrong places. They fight crime!