Re: Rethinking our layout

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 13:44 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 02:08 +0200, Brion Vibber wrote:
> > Hi folks, came across this scary little project on Havoc's blog. :)
>
> Heh.  Good to have you here Brion, a grep of my Mediawiki source tree
> tells me you're a good person to talk to :)
>
> One thing I might mention first is that our current Mediawiki
> integration is a relatively recent change of direction; originally the
> codebase was standalone, and then we decided it would work well in a
> wiki, and then we chose Mediawiki.  So some technical facets of the
> codebase would probably be different had we chosen the wiki-embedding
> from the start (and in particular had we focused on Mediawiki).
>
> > You might want to take a look at the 'live preview' code in the current
> > EditPage.php (this is off by default as it was experimental and had some
> > problems with compatibility). It provides a primitive
> > XmlHttpRequest-able wikitext rendering so previews can be done without
> > leaving the page.
>
> That's pretty cool, although I think it's not quite the same thing as
> the "live section" plans.  For example, I was just planning to suck the
> section content into a regular Yarrr live comment; it wouldn't be
> rendered as HTML until it was readded to the wiki.  So it seems to me
> the difficulties you mentioned with parsing HTML wouldn't apply, no?  Or
> am I missing something here?

If I get Brion comments correctly the issue here is that you need to be
able to parse the original dom tree (i.e. to find the section part in
it) to update it with the changes...

I'm working, as a first attempt, on code that just replace the whole
wiki text (just the content), which is similar to what the preview stuff
already does. If that's annoying for users we can "optimize" it.

One issue is that the live preview code is only in mediawiki 1.5... I'll
have to adapt it to 1.4.

Marco