Re: infrastructure

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 16:34 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I thought I'd just point out a few projects out there that we should
> probably have a look at.  Seth mentioned Laslzo:
>
> http://www.laszlosystems.com/products/

This seems to be an all-flash on the client approach. I doubt thats
something we want.

> There's also:
>
> http://oss.metaparadigm.com/jsonrpc/

Use a javascript-specific encoding for the rpc requests instead of xml?
This means we won't be able to use the same rpc for a native client. The
java side seems a bit more modern than the apache xmlrpc code though,
supporting e.g. Collections and not only Vector.

> https://dwr.dev.java.net/

This seems very similar to the js xmlrpc library we're using.

In general I'm a bit split about adding infrastructure dependencies like
this. You always need some infrastructure so you don't have to do
everything yourself, but piling on infrastructure just because it might
be good/cool/whatever can easily lead to problems as it turns out the
infrastructure in question didn't exactly match what we needed, or
didn't have the quality/features we needed.

Its not like we're not already using some infrastructure. We already use
Java, xml-rpc, the apache logging system, tomcat, hibernate, derby, etc.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a suicidal neurotic senator on the hunt for the last specimen of a great
and near-mythical creature. She's a high-kicking French-Canadian pearl diver
with a flame-thrower. They fight crime!