RE: [xslt] RE: [xml] does xsltproc caches subexpressions

Hi,

The following might be a bit vague, since I only scratched Libxml2's
XPath
code.
I think Libxml2 does only the "early exit" optimization; at least I
haven't
found code indicating the opposite. Although in the case of [n], it
doesn't
evaluate "n", but just triggers execution of optimized evaluation
functions
wrt the position. The 3 functions are:
1) xmlXPathCompOpEvalFirst()       - used for "[1]"
2) xmlXPathCompOpEvalLast()        - used for "last()"
3) xmlXPathNodeCollectAndTestNth() - used for "[n]"

But there's one catch for the "early exit": In Libxml2 each predicate is
evaluated on the node-set result of its preceding predicate; so the
"early exit" is only possible at the last level of predicates.

Example:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
  <xsl:key name="mykey" match="//foo" use="@val"/>
  <xsl:template match="/">
	  <xsl:value-of select="count(key('mykey',
'a')[ boo][@zoo][1])"/>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<foo val="a" boo="x" zoo="x">
  <foo val="a" boo="x" zoo="x"/>
</foo>

Theoretically the evaluation could stop on the first "foo" element in
doc-order, but it does not: first the predicate "@boo" is applied to
both "foo" elements, which results in a node-set containing both
elements.
Then the predicate "@zoo" is applied to the node-set, and only here we
can
"exit early" on the first match. I know this goes quite hand in hand
with
what the XPath says, but I think we loose opportunities for optimization
here.

I think the result would be same same, if the predicates were evaluated
all
in a row on each node of the initial node-set. If such a mechanism would
be more complex than the one existing in an other question.

It would be interesting to hear how Saxon has implemented this.

Regards,

Kasimier