[xslt] Query for multiple substring-after (before) calls

Hi,
If I have following xslt operation with space as an argument to substring-before, then everything works fine:
<xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(substring-after(substring-before(.,'peer'),' '))"/>
But, when I have this as a nested call, then the Parser gives error:
runtime error: file xslfile.xsl line 36 element element
xsl:element : invalid name

xsl:element name="{normalize-space(substring-before(substring-after(.,'proposal'),' '))}"/>

Could someone tell me the exact reason? Seems like it may be due to stripping of white spaces, when we have nested calls?

I checked that this error occurs im almost all the parsers.

Regards
Rahul Sharma