Re: [xslt] XPath number formatting

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 11:40 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>   You think it's well defined, good. That wasn't the status quo when
> that code was done. If you think you understand how this should all be
> working, a patch for the related portion of the code is the best way
> to make this fully unambiguous.

Whoever tries to write such a patch might find it helpful to look at
the latest XPath 2.0 and XSLT 2.0 documents, as we tried to clarify
such issues; the 2.0 versions are clearly based on the types defined
by W3C XML Schema, with the acceptable implementation limits also
defined.  Of course, this doesn't, strictly speaking, apply to
XPath 1.0 and XSLT 1.0, although the 2.0 specs do try to note
any incompatibilities.  But it may help to see the direction
in which the specs have moved.

It's not inconceivable that the XSL Working Group could publish errata
to clarify this sort of issue, if such clarification is needed,
although the Working Group has been pretty busy with the 2.0 specs
and I doubt there will be errata published before 2.0 is a
Recommendation.

Liam

Liam on the Web: http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/
XML Blog: http://people.w3.org/%7eliam/blog/