Re: FW: [xslt] Passing xml expressions as parameters.

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 04:12:19PM -0400, Bob Stobie wrote:
> What I would like is for the parameter to be treated the same way as the
> global <xsl:variable>

Parameters in libxslt are strings, not trees. Adding a different type
would require a specific mechanism because as the example pointed out
allowing both is ambiguous. The spec says
  "XSLT does not define the mechanism by which parameters are passed to
   the stylesheet"
so this is a grey area.
There is one perfectly standard way to get extra document
in an XSLT process which is by using the document() function.
Adding another kind of parameter would require:
  - extending xsltproc
  - extending the internal APIS
  - adding the parsing/free of said parameters
  - debug the problems which will invaraibly show up with such extension.

 Maybe it's worth it, but it's not a piece of cake. Your stylesheet may
be 10,000 lines but I don't know how many hours I would have to spend to
do this, and "it work that way in Microsoft engine" is not the most
motivating feedback for commiting to do such work. Maybe it's a more
general problem and solving this will help a lot of people, but it's
unclear right now.
  Please register it as a enhancement request in bugzilla, that's
a first step to gauge interest,