[xslt] libxml2-2.6.11 -- 1. gcc warning, 2. elfgcchack Question

Hi,

1. when building the brand new libxml2-2.6.11 I noticed the gcc warning:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I./include -I./include -D_REENTRANT \
	-O2 -Wall -MT uri.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/uri.Tpo -c uri.c  \
	-fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/uri.o
uri.c:53:1: warning: "IS_DIGIT" redefined
In file included from include/libxml/DOCBparser.h:18,
                 from elfgcchack.h:16,
                 from libxml.h:56,
                 from uri.c:12:
include/libxml/parserInternals.h:121:1: warning: this is the location \
	of the previous definition

I think the IS_DIGIT macro in uri.c ought to be renamed!

2. As far as I can see, the elfgcchack stuff has the purpose to speed up
calls within the library. That's fine and presumably profitable for a shared
library. For a static library, however, I can imagine no such gain. I only
see the disadvantage that the (--strip-debug'ed) static library increases in
size approx. from 1MB to 4MB.

I would therefore suggest that the file "elfgcchack.h" should only be
included into "libxml.h" when building a shared library but not for a static
one. The only problem might be how to detect the difference (an additional
"ifdef PIC" might suffice).

regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb mppmu mpg de>