[xslt] libxslt extension

hi,

My name is Nicolas Deschildre, I'm coding the Quanta+ VPL (WYSIWYG) view, and
i was thinking to add WYSIWYG support for non-HTML DTDs.
I'm looking for a mature XSLT processor which can do some "unusual" work.

But first, i would simply like to see if it is possible.
If I'm not wrong, libxslt basically as parameter a XSLT stylesheet and a XML
file to process, and then apply the XSLT stylesheet and output the
transformed file.
Non-HTML WYSIWYG edition would behave like this: transforming the XML source
into HTML source so that it can be displayed and modified in a WYSIWYG way. A
modification in the generated HTML file will have repercussions to the
original XML file.

So if libxslt was used in VPL for non-HTML edition, it would require some new
modifications/extensions:
1) To know what are the repercussions of one change
(addition/modification/deletion of a Node) in the generated file do in the
source file as well as in the generated file itself.
2) To know which parts are editable or not in the generated file i.e. which
parts depend of the original source file.

Of course, i will participate to the coding if necessary, but i would like to
hear first if it is possible, and how hard it would be. I believe that, as
libxslt was not made for this, it will require many changes, that is why i'm
looking for this right now even if i don't plan non-HTML DTD support before a
long time.

++
Nicolas Deschildre