[xslt] generating malformed XML (html) from malformed XML (xhtml)

ls,

I've written an XSLT-stylesheet in order to map XHTML to HTML. Most
XHTML elements are kept intact (i.e. copied) except for HEAD and META.

The following (malformed) XHTML-code appears on the input:

   <A href="/all/projects/<!--#echo var="REMOTE_USER" -->">Your Projects</A>

This uses an Apache feature called Server Side Includes. The
expression   <!--#echo var="REMOTE_USER" -->
is transformed by the HTTP server to the name of the authenticated
user.

I'm not able to copy this input. As a lot of XML violations occur (<
inside attribute value, " too). xsltproc bombs out of course.

Does any of you have a good idea on how to implement this?

I'd rather not introduce a new element (e.g. myA) which supports an
extra attribute of some sort.

many thanks in advance,

Joost Helberg

--