[xslt] indent=yes on html output

Looking through the list archives, I see a couple of threads at the
end of 2001 about whitespace being wrongly introduced where
indent=no. I have the opposite problem: indent=yes on method=xml
works fine, but with method=html, output seems always to be merged
together on one line, regardless of input and setting of indent. e.g.
regardless of indent setting.
Probably not a problem when outputing to browser but when creating a
file, it makes the file very hard for us poor humans to read.

(xsltproc with libxslt 1.0.27)