[xslt] Re: [xml] Patch: installing Python into actual site-packages

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 03:40:06PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 15:25, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 02:59:05PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> > > These patches update libxml2/libxslt's python/Makefiles to use the
> > > $(PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGES) value, as discovered by configure, rather than
> > > synthesizing one;  the logic guesses wrong in the case where Python is
> > > not installed under $(libdir).  The patch is against libxml2 2.5.7 and
> > > libxslt 1.0.29.
> >
> >   Hum, I feel a bit cautious about those patches, basically I'm
> > afraid that they break on the x86_64 platform, where libdir is
> > /usr/lib64 IIRC, not /usr/lib , and I cannot break the python
> > bindings of libxml2, really ... I need to do some tests first.

  I made the test, it passes so I think the patch can be applied.

> If I invoke configure using '--with-python', then the Python libraries
> ought to be installed into *that* Python's site-packages, no?  At the

  yes, that makes sense. But when you try to get auto*, compilers and
various packaging methodologies on dozens of platforms and processors
to work correctly, common sense has been forgotten way before starting
to run any configuration code.

> first, rather than last.  In fact, if you can't ask Python where its
> site-packages are, you could probably just bail on doing the Python
> wrappers altogether, as your chances of doing the Right Thing (TM) are
> just about nil.

  Hum, should I take your comment as an advice to stop working on
doing code and get a degree on applied psychology instead ?