[xslt] text output method performance

Hi,

It seems that libxslt performance degrades pathologically
with output size when using the text output method.

A run of my test case through the profiler shows that
95+% of the time is spent in xmlStrlen
(called from xmlStrncat and xmlNodeAddContent).

I understand that libxslt builds one big text node in such case,
which explains the performance behaviour.

What would be possible tracks to explore in order to improve this
(provided my diagnostic is correct, of course)?

-sbi