Re: [xslt] URIs and Their Hacks

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 12:25:26AM +0100, Igor Zlatkovic wrote:
> Okay, this seems to work, at least halfway.
> [...]
>
> The new facility is called xmlURIFromPath and is implemented in uri.c. It
> gives the functionality of the retired xmlNormalizeWindowsPath and does a
> better job using the provided URI functions. This should cover the bug
> 105994.

Hmm, maybe i put too much into symbol names (that's what you get from programming
in Scheme :) , but wouldn't  xmlCanonicPath be better name for that function?
After all, what the code does is a hashing from pathes to a unique path ....
This is an operation which seems neccesary on most plattforms that support relative
pathes, i guess.

[...]

> and that seems to be perfectly okay. At the xmlIO level, all paths are equal
> to the user's input, be it the command-line, or some entry in the XML file.
> Every file is being found. In xmlDoc.URL, however, all paths are URIs, with
> proper escaping, and the URI functions in uri.c seem to handle those best.

... do they even _have_ to be paths? After all libxml has a pluggable IO layer
(we use cms://bla/fup/oink .... inhouse :-)

Hmmm, thinking of that -- i think a real clean API would have a 'xmlCanonicURI'
function as part of the IO layer ....

 Ralf Mattes