[xslt] Re: [xml] xsltproc outputs invalid meta tag for xhtml

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 06:30:37PM +0100, Erich Schubert wrote:
> Hello Daniel, thanks for your quick reply.
>
> >   If you want to output XHTML then output="xml" and generating
> > and XHTML1 doctype is the correct way to proceed.
>
> Unfortunately, the result - while being valid xhtml - is not compatible
> for most html parsers. There are a couple of minor tweaks that will
> result in valid xhtml output that is easier to parse by buggy old html
> parsers. For example some fail on <br/>, but succeed on <br />

  You didn't listen to what I said. libxml2 will output <br /> under some
condition, reread my mail !

> > > second: can i have xsltproc output
> > >   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
> > > even in html mode? then the resulting file would be valid xhtml.
> >
> >   Your sentence makes no sense.
> >   1/ if you use output="html" xsltproc does not generate this
>
> That is why i asked "can i have". Because xsltproc doesn't.

   it's simply wrong. Do not do that.

> >   2/ validity in XML has a precise meaning, and is unrelated to
> >      the XML declaration (except for standalone, but not qaffecting this
> >      case).
>
> The character set is an important part of the information, too.
> FYI, xmllint will accept my generated file when i add the XML encoding
> information and close the meta tag.

   and will break as soon as you modify something else in really
bad ways.

> >   Your problems won't be looked at any further without the required set of
> > informations, see http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/bugs.html
>
> I'm running debian unstable, which has libxslt/xsltproc 1.1.1
> and libxml2 2.6.3. I know that both are one minor version off,
> but the changelogs didn't show related changes.
> The given web page doesn't specify a required set of informations except
> for example input and stylesheets, which i did not attach, since they
> are not special, just use any (x-) html generating xslt.

  "not special" means nothing. Anything which can be generated by
the XSLT syntax is too.
  You didn't read my mail. You don't want to provide detailed informations,
fine. I don't feel compelled to help you further without more data. You
want to use mode="html" to generate XHTML simply because you don't want to
do the right thing, this is broken, there is a corect processing for this
but apparently you don't care to listen to my advice.