Re: [xslt] libxslt escaping urls when outputting HTML

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 12:28:48PM +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 05:46:04AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 03:58:38PM +1000, Andy Hird wrote:
> > [...]
> > > and with version 1.18 (and version 1.20 I just tested) we get:

> > > I know that they are, in essence, the same thing but unfortunately we
> > > have some software relying on the former output (which we will fix).
> > >
> > > I was curious what prompted the change in libxslt and whether there was
> > > a way (within the xslt) of changing that escaping for the whole document
> > > (rather than using xsl:text elements with escape exceptions).
> >
> >   The reason is simple: standard conformance
> >     http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-HTML-Output-Method
> >
> >     "The html output method should escape non-ASCII characters in URI
> >      attribute values using the method recommended in Section B.2.1 of
> >      the HTML 4.0 Recommendation."
>
> Uhm, forgive me if I am mistaken, but isn't "," an ASCII character?

  Hum, maybe it wasn't precisely the right thing to point to, but
RFC 2396 is the core spec in this respect. And ',' is in the reserved set.

> There is supposed to be an parameter to the xsl:output element in XSL 2.0 to
> turn this off as well, but I don't think it was in 1.0?

  no idea and I don't try to be XSLT-2.0 compliant... it requires XPath 2.0
which itself requires XML Schemas ... maybe in a couple of years !!!

> Again, though, I believe this is only supposed to apply to non-ascii utf-8
> characters... I personally think the specification needs to make this

  the rules from RFC 2396 are very general, they apply in the HTML framework !

> section clearer and simpler: this is really important for those of us who
> actually deal with full scale utf-8 in uri POST elements or other non-html
> specific locations...

  I'm not involved anymore in this level of the standards, and I don't think
there will be a new revision of the SGML based HTML specification ...