Re: [xslt] XSLT Document Handling Question

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 02:16:23PM -0600, Vakoc, Mark wrote:

> Hello Daniel, all,
>
> I have an extension element that I am writing that essentialy pumps the
> result of transforming it's children to a web browser, i.e
>
> <myext:dump-to-browser>
>  <head><title><xsl:value-of select="/*/@title"/></title></head>
> </myext:dump-to-browser>
>

> The way I implement this is the extension element as shown below
> 1.  Creates a new document
> 2.  adds the document to the transform context using xsltNewDocument()
> 3.  Changes the context->insert to the new document
> 4.  calls xsltApplyOneTemplate on the node's children
> 5.  restore the old insert pointer
>
> My question is:  Before I leave the extension function I want to free up the
> new document as it won't be used anywhere else.  Is it safe to manually
> remove it from the ctxt->docList then call xmlFreeDoc?  or does this doc
> need to remain in the docList until it is free'ed by xsltFreeStylesheet?

  Well, in general no. It really depends on the stylesheet processing though,
if there are variables which still holds nodeset pointing to elements in the
document tree, then that can lead to a crash later. On the other hand if you
are sure the stylesheet don't keep informations pertaining to the document,
then that should be fine.