[xslt] XSLT equivalent to xmlXPathEval?

Title: XSLT equivalent to xmlXPathEval?

Greetings -

I had been executing the following :

xmlXPathObjectPtr nodeList = xmlXPathEval("//employee [name=\"louis\"]/job", context);

With correct results.  Now I found out that some people are using my function like this :

xmlXPathObjectPtr nodeList = xmlXPathEval("//employee [$any$ name=\"louis\"]/job", context);

That extra $any$ is ruining the xmlXPathEval.  Here is the message I get out :

     Error C:\home\igor\src\gnome-xml\xpath.c:7497: Invalid predicate
     //employee [$any$ name="louis"]/job
                     ^
     xmlXPathEval: evaluation failed

Looking in the books that I have, I see that $any$ is an XSL operator.  I haven't been able to figure out how to do a single XSL evaluation in XSLT.  What function in XSLT do I call that's roughly equivalent to xmlXPathEval, but understands operators like $any$?

Or am I completely misunderstanding my problem?  Believe me, it's not for a lack of looking.  I've spent several hours trying to figure this out - I'm new to all of this, though.

Thanks for any assistance!

-Matt

// Matt Cruikshank (763)852-4183
// <mcruikshank@vitalimages.com>