Re: [xslt] ready to use extensions??

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 01:45:12PM +0200, Janning Vygen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are there any ready to use extensions for libxslt (i know that you
> cant link dynamically, so i mean ready to compile source code :-)

  well everything in the libexslt subtree of the libxslt source
are basically extension functions.
  I also suggest you read the tutorial on the subject:
     http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/extensions.html

> I would like to have an extension which can get imagewidth and
> imageheight of a referenced image, so i need filesystem access for
> this, which can only be done with an extension.

  right

> its such a common task that somebody should already have written this
> for libxslt. i would like to do something like this (just typed, no
> real code):
[..]
> there are many extensions in exslt but these are mostly document
> specific (node-set, regExp). i need often extension with access the
> system (like database access, filesystem access or date (like in
> exslt already implemented)
>
> btw: i guess the extension handling is one of the drawbacks of
> libxslt[1]. in saxon you can call Java API from inside an XPATH
> Expression. So you can for example get the filesize of a referenced
> file and put this in the result tree like "Download now (500 KByte)"

  Well, but it's an extension to the specification. I.e. it's not
portable anymre.

> [1] as i guess daniel villard is reading this to i have to mention
> that this the only drawback i found :-) (ok. xslt 1.1 stuff would be
> nice like doing node-set() stuff automatically. saxon is quite cool
> in this way but too slow compared with libxslt.

  again 1.1 is dead and automatic conversion to node-set is a relatively
strong violation of the specification. This will be relaxed in 2.0 if I
understand correctly, so at some point this will get fixed.

  thanks !