[xslt] python xslt messages

I've been happily using the Python libxslt interface for a few weeks
now, but I have noticed that sometimes there are error messsages written
to stderr (for example, when a variable is referred to but was never
declared, or when an xpath expression cannot be evaluated).  However no
exceptions are thrown and I get a results back from
parseStylesheetDoc() and applyStylesheet(), as if everything succeeded.

Is there some way via Python to access the warning/error messages (other
than redirecting stderr) ?

--
Sam Brauer
Systems Programmer