[xslt] xsltproc --param

If it is obvious, I came over from using sablotron
looking for exslt, so I am trying to make my previous
use of xslt compatible with libxslt.

Sablotron has a pretty sweet interface for passing in
params from the command line.  The problem with
xsltproc is with quotes.  If I was in

--param foo "'here is a quot \". '"

it prints

here is a quot ".

as the output...and it is not even possible to get
single quotes in there...is there anyway to implement
was sablotron has, where the params are passed as

\$foo="here's what I like \" about sablotron"

which becomes

here's what I like " about sablotron

Also, they have the ability to pass in nodesets from
the command line...is that possible with libxslt.
Thanks for all the assistance!

Dan