Re: Is intltool GPL? Or is it LGPL?

on 10/2/01 3:23 PM, Maciej Stachowiak at mjs noisehavoc org wrote:

> I think it's OK for the scripts to be GPL. The M4 macros are
> debatable; it might be desirable to add a special exception (LGPL
> would not help because the code is textually substituted, not used as
> a library). I'm happy to do whatever automake and autoconf do here.

I agree. It would be good to match automake and autoconf.

> I think we should change it back. Making code LGPL makes no sense if
> it is not a library other code can link against. We should leave it
> GPL to avoid confusion.

That sounds right. I'm sorry for bringing this up in a confusing way.

I am worried that tarballs contain copies of the tools. If the tools are
GPL, that seems to create a problem for the tarball of a non-GPL program.
Since you are so much more experienced and knowledgeable in these matters,
Maciej, I'd prefer that you figure it out and fix it. Is that OK? If not, I
can just roll back to the GPL mechanically before I do the release.

    -- Darin