Re: [xml-bindings]Simple JNI wrapper for libxml & libxslt wanted

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 04:16:50PM +0200, David Neary wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a simple libxml and libxslt JNI wrapper. I have come up
> against a massive performance block using both Xalan and XT (perhaps this is
> due to our xsl as well, though)

Well, it might be a good idea to get this clear first.

> - it has gotten to a stage where we would
> like to test with a C implementation to see if there is a huge difference.

Just use xsltproc to do some timing. Something like this:

 $ xsltproc --timing --repeat  /var/cms/xslt/centerpage.xslt \
    /var/cms/work/politik/index > /dev/null

  Parsing stylesheet /var/cms/xslt/centerpage.xslt took 2 ms
  Parsing document /var/cms/work/politik/index took 6 ms
  Applying stylesheet 20 times took 1266 ms
  Saving result took 16 ms

should give you a basic idea about the mangnitude of speed increase.

> So - I was hoping someone had a SWIG interface file lying around that I
> could use to generate a simple JNI interface, or indeed an existing JNI
> interface, with the C wrapper file and the Java interface already done :)
> This would be for use on Win32.

But then you evaluate the quality of swig and JNI ;-)
Swig and JNI add quite a bit of performance overhead (object creation,
input/output parameter conversion etc.).

 just my0.02$

   Ralf Mattes