[xml-bindings]xpointer with python-libxml2?

Hello,

I am tesing the libxml2 python wrapper for libxml2 2.5.4.

I know that xinclude and xpointer are available in libxml2. When I
process an XML document containing (example):
<a>
<xi:include href="/dev/d/d/xml/program/python.xml#xpointer
(//python/libs)" parse="xml"
xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";>
<xi:fallback/>
</xi:include>
</a>

...using xsltproc, the resulting xml correctly includes the section from
the external XML document. When I process the same XML document
with python using:

import libxml2
doc = libxml2.parseFile("sample.xml")
branch = doc.xpathEval("a")

...or however...the link in no case seems to get recognized. Some
scripts return an error like:

"""
XPath error Undefined namespace prefix
/a/xi:include/xi:fallback

xmlXPathEval: evaluation failed
"""

Should the python libxml2 wrapper recognize xpointers like this? If so,
can anyone 'point' me to some examples of the implementation?

Thanks,
Ben

This is your brain:
    bash-2.05$