Re: resizing with gravity

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:07:11 -0500 Sasha Vasko <sasha aftercode net> babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:53:33 -0500 Sasha Vasko <sasha aftercode net>
> > babbled:

> >>It was user who explicitely requested SE gravity. So if user moves
> >>window into different corner he/she still expects window to follow it.
> >>If it goes off screen after resize - that's what user requested. If you
> >>want to empower user - add functionality to window manager to allow
> >>changing gravity for any open window.
> >

> > well they requested the window to star in the bottom-left of the screen, but
> > now they moved the window, they have no way to change that request.
> > implicitly i would say their desire now is to have it have NW gravity -
> > BUT, there is no facility to change that explicitly for the user, and as
> > best i last read - the wm shouldn't be freely changing how it interprets
> > gravity (though in this case that would be very useful). the problem here
> > is that the app may do things bases on Se gravity with respect to its own
> > window contents. but now the wm may have switched to NW gravity.
>
> How could possibly an app use its win_gravity for its contents ? The one
> and only purpose it serves is top-level window position, and as I say -
> an app has no business messing with that.

it SET is gravity assuming then its "origin" (i use that loosely) is the
bottom-right. so for example if i have an image in an image viewer. with NW
gravity and if i don't scale the image to fit, it is in the top-left with blank
space as the window resizes to the right and bottom. now if your gravity is SE
- you would want the inverse of the behavior inside the app window reflecting
its "intended" gravity on the screen. well this is one scenario.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster rasterman com
裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)