Re: Interaction between applications and compositing managers

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 02:29, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 09:02 +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > so my point - it's not a pi break at all adding extra enumerations. the
> > code should have already handled the case of an enumeration it doesn't
> > know about to start with in some "sane" fashion.
>
> This is not about trusting values from properties (which of course, you
> must not do), it is about GDK apis which have a C enum for the possible
> values of the window type. Adding new values does indeed force us to
> break the api by adding new values to the enumeration. I do agree that
> the api break is minor and that we should probably do it, but it is an
> api break, unless the enumeration is explicitly documented as "may grow
> new values", which is isn't.

 Then you have a serious problem I'm afraid - _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE is designed
to grow and it has already done so a couple of times.

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/