Re: _NET_WM_STATE_HIDDEN

On 5/21/05, Denis <world of micro world gmail com> wrote:
> i trying hide window by wmctrl, but _NET_WM_STATE_HIDDEN not working.
>
> i write own function but it not working.

>From the EWMH spec, which I pointed you to in my previous email:

Implementation note: if an Application asks to toggle
_NET_WM_STATE_HIDDEN the Window Manager should probably just ignore
the request, since _NET_WM_STATE_HIDDEN is a function of some other
aspect of the window such as minimization, rather than an independent
state.

Let me try to explain that.  You're trying to send a message that
"this window should be hidden from the pager".  But why?  Is it
because the window should be minimized?  Because it should be shaded?
Because it should be "SHELVED" (another hypothetical example of hiding
that we envision as rotating the window sideways and sticking it
somewhere)?  Since something else should be done with the window when
it is to be hidden, the correct way to handle this is to send a
message to do the other thing (minimizing, shading, shelving, or
whatever), and let the window manager take care of the fact that it'll
become hidden.

Hope that helps,
Elijah