Re: focus stealing prevention (was Re: _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW, revisited)

On 7/27/05, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com> wrote:

> > On a somewhat related note, would anybody have a problem with the
> > attached patch for the startup notification spec. I've already been using
> > this in KDE for quite some time, and I've just recently noticed it's actually
> > not explicitly said in the spec. It's used e.g. for the KUniqueApplication
> > case - if KControl is running, you launch another one, this allows the
> > already existing window act like it's a newly launched window.
>
> I have no objections.

Actually, can I wait a little longer before making that judgement?
Looking closer, I'm not so sure I know what it means anymore.  Does it
mean the WM should ignore the _NET_WM_DESKTOP field on its next map,
set it to the current workspace, delete that property on the window,
or something else?

At first, since I was thinking that I should treat it like a launch
and the default with new windows is to put them on the current
workspace I thought about doing that.  But what if the window is
sticky?  And what if the app sets a new value for _NET_STARTUP_ID and
then wants to also specify a value for _NET_WM_DESKTOP?