Re: _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW, revisited

On Thursday 21 of July 2005 17:48, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On 7/21/05, Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> wrote:
> > What use cases do you have for _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW also moving a window
> > to the current desktop?
[some analogy that's probably so bad it's of no use here]
> Dropping the analogies in order to be clear: The user is likely on a
> given workspace for a reason.  They are likely interacting with
> several windows.  If we make _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW move the user to
> another workspace, then they have to do the additional step of
> manually moving the activated window back to the other workspace in
> order to be able to use both the activated window and the windows that
> had been on their original workspace.  That's a pain.

 Hmm, this is hardly a description of some case where you need it, but let me
guess, you're talking about the case where some application does
_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW on itself for some reason, right?

> think not being allowed to change puts policy into the spec that will
> cause inconsistent behavior among apps.  I believe it may be valuable
> to add activation types in the spec (such as
> activation-from-pager-that-is-workspace-aware,
> activation-for-newly-launched-window, and
> activation-for-existing-window).  I might still be in error--please
> point out any mistakes that I have made.

 How about we move from bad analogies and theories to practice? Can you post
proposed changes to the spec for what you want?

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/