Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:03:10 +0100 Mike Hearn <mh codeweavers com> babbled:

> Amusing anecodotes about "fixing apps" aside, we would like such a hint
> for Wine - right now mapping Win32 style bits to MWM/NETWM/X hints is a
> major pain. The heuristics sometimes get it wrong, leading to things
> like "Help I started Steam and can't enter my login name!" because
> override-redirect windows can't take focus. If we could tell the WM to do
> exactly what we needed, OR windows would be less necessary and things
> would get more reliable.
>
> Actually there are a few things we need from the EWMH spec it doesn't
> provide right now :)

list them! :)

while we're at it... personally i'd like a request from wine - set the name and
class to something about the app - maybe the exe? so its not always "wine"
"Wine" :) also  the whole decoration and window positioning doesn't quite work
right. in wine - well i recently noticed that WoW likes to remember its location
but always gets it off by a window border frame width + height (x and y
accordingly). not sure if this is just the way the app works - no source, but
wine should adjust for the frame size when sending configurenotify events back
to the app (can't remember the win32 event message it was) but it should use the
_NET_FRAME_EXTENTS, or older
_E_FRAME_SIZE (same format) that e16 set long ago, and/or use the netwm frame
size request protocol to try guess how fat your frame will be before you map :)

anyway - noticed this on WoW, and as its just about the only windows app i have
run recently through wine... i can't say if its Wow being just stupid - or too
smart for its own good, or a "hole" in the Wine logic :)

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster rasterman com
裸好多                              raster deephackmode org
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)