Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows
- From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
- To: Carsten Haitzler <raster rasterman com>
- Cc: Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman Sun COM>, Bradley T Hughes <bhughes trolltech com>, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com>, wm-spec-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows
- Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 00:45:42 -0400
On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 09:44 +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> but the spec doesn't even let you know OF the hacks to do it - it doesn't say
> "here is a "one hammer to solve all problems - UNTIL it's in the spec". it
> claims to want to obsolete previous hints (like mwm) and thus implied "do not
> use these" so a programmer goes "so how then do i do this?". a programmer may
> not realise wm's will still support the mwm hints until the end of the world
> comes because of legacy apps.
I think I'd say that app developers aren't even the target of EWMH; it's
for toolkit developers.
Qt and GTK and so forth all offer API that hides this cruft.
If people don't use a toolkit then this is the least of their
I don't think documenting MWM is really that evil, don't get me wrong. I
just don't want to see people thinking "problem solved" at that point.
] [Thread Prev