Re: WM_TRANSIENT_FOR and _NET_WM_STATE_MODAL inconsistancy

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 14:20, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > But no type hint and TRANSIENT_FOR is taken as a dialog, because
> > historically that was the convention.
>
>  Not exactly actually, there are enough cases where transient windows in old
> apps aren't dialogs but something else (e.g. the menu window in ImageMagick's
> display).

Nobody has complained to me about ImageMagick; I did discover that some
old versions of Swing would use a managed window for popup menus and set
transient for on it, but that is just so broken I can't even bring
myself to work around it. ;-) I think Swing has been fixed anyhow to use
override redirect.

People did complain a lot when windows with TRANSIENT_FOR weren't
recognized as dialogs, so that seemed to be the way to go.

In any case, this is legacy heuristics only, as new toolkits and apps
can explicitly set the window type.