Re: Standardizing _METACITY_UPDATE_COUNTER

sandmann daimi au dk writes:

> I think the acknowledgement should be done through XSYNC, because I
> don't think it is out of the question for a window manager to use
> XSyncAwait() to block on the client's response (The WM would use a
> separate connection to the X server to avoid stalls and deadlocking).
I'm curious: how useful would it be for the wm to block on the response? Using
XSync does make the implementation significantly more complex. That's fine if
there is a good reason to use such a counter, I'm just trying to understand
what that would be.

> What is the use case for "No support"? I would suggest instead
Absolutely none. However, the point of using an integer is that I wanted to
keep it possible to define additional semantics, mainly for double-buffering.
Depending on how we do double-buffering, you might need the client's
cooperation.

<snip>
> This should say that
>
>         - The acknowledgement should happen after fully handling at
>           least one, but possibly more, ConfigureNotify events
>           (whether synthetic or not), where "fully handling" means
>           having done all processing and drawing associated with the
>           event.
We should clarify what happens with synthetic ConfigureNotify events. To
maintain the 1-1 relationship, the WM should send a _NET_SYNC_REQUEST for each
synthetic ConfigureNotify event that it generates, as well as each real
ConfigureNotify event that causes. Since the synthetic ConfigureNotify is not
necessary during move/resize, we should add an implementation note advising WMs
not to send a synthetic ConfigureNotify since a real-one will be generated. I
want to avoid the situation with Tk that Lubos Lunak pointed out.

<snip>
> This looks fine, though it might not hurt to emphasize that the first
> _NET_SYNC_REQUEST sent to a window should be 1, or at least non-zero
> to distinguish a "virgin" counter.
Good point.

<snip>
> These should just be implementation suggestions or in the
> rationale. The point of the serial numbers is that the window manager
> can have more than one outstanding _NET_SYNC_REQUEST at a time if it
> wants to.
Agreed.

Sincerely,
    Rayiner Hashem