Re: Standardizing _METACITY_UPDATE_COUNTER

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 15:20, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Hmm. Could somebody please explain to me why this actually has to use XSYNC
> > counter? I might be wrong, but it seems to me that the KWin patch actually
> > doesn't check the value of the counter, it simply stops the timeout and does
> > another move/resize when it gets notification about counter update. I
> > remember I wondered a bit about this, but it makes sense to me:
>
> The main feature XSync adds is the ability to block on the counter -
> something window managers probably don't want to do.

Not at the moment, no, but a window manager could use a separate X
connection and block on that. Since X SYNC is not any more difficult
to use than just changing properties I don't think we should lose that
feature, even if no current window managers use it.

Søren