Re: Proposal for a smarter behavior for raising windows on mouse click (#2)

On Monday 26 of April 2004 20:07, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Lubos said:
> >>BTW, there's one more thing I don't like much about WM_TAKE_FOCUS (and
> >> your proposal). I see focus as one of the shared resources handled by
> >> the window manager. Letting the apps to decide when and how they'll set
> >> the focus moves the responsibility for this resource away from the
> >> window manager.
>
> Elijah replied:
> >I have to agree with you there.
>
> It's easy to forget that WM_TAKE_FOCUS has other uses - for instance
> apps may need to explicitly reject focus some or all of the time, making
> sure that the "originally focussed" object doesn't end up getting
> enter/exit events.  This is especially important for many accessibility
> utilities, which of course break if your interactions with them cause
> focus-loss in your primary application.  In other words, these
> accessibility utilities are "meta apps" in the sense that interacting
> with them should not cause a context change in a user session.
>
> Devising a new WM_TYPE will help some of these use cases (see other
> discussion ongoing on-list), but TAKE_FOCUS is still important since
> sometimes you really do want the meta-apps to have "normal" windows with
> borders, etc. otherwise.  So any changes to WM_TAKE_FOCUS need to be
> careful not to break support for applications with legitimate reasons
> for getting involved in the WM's focus negotiations.

 I did not suggest dumping WM_TAKE_FOCUS or anything like that. I just said
that I find the globally active input mode insufficient for solving the
original (not raising on DND) problem, that I disagree with the apps
themselves focusing their new windows, and that I see a problem with
timestamps there.

 I don't see any problem with the other three input modes (and I believe they
should work properly with KWin, I'm not sure about the globally active one).

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/