Re: Proposal for a smarter behavior for raising windows on mouse click (#2)

On Thursday 22 of April 2004 16:36, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 02:41:44PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Hello,
> >
> >  ok, this took same time :-/ (releases, releases). But now I have a fully
> > working (I hope) implementation. The kdelibs+KWin patches are already in
> > KDE CVS HEAD, attached is a Qt patch that might be useful to you, and a
> > patch for the spec.
>
> If you just use the WM_TAKE_FOCUS protocol and the globally active input
> model

 Hmm. This could explain why I originally modelled it after WM_TAKE_FOCUS
while now it doesn't resemble it much, I guess I forgot some things during
the long pauses when implementing this, or perhaps I realized new ones.

> > - the WM receives the reply, and does what it would otherwise do right
> > when getting the ButtonPress (unless there was another raising/activation
> > meanwhile as a result of the mouse events)
>
> Either there is no reply to the WM, in which case it does nothing, or the
> the WM receives the FocusIn event, in which case it raises/highlights the
> window.
>
> >  Looks simple, and seems to be working.
>
> Is simple. Works. :-)

 Does it? I'll have to think this over again, but right now I wonder:

- How does the WM exactly know whether to also raise on FocusIn or not? It
obviously can't do that everytime.

- Say the click leads to opening a new window. How will you make sure it's the
new window that will be the new active window, given that the situation with
timestamps will get somewhat odd? The WM will have older timestamp than the
application, because MapRequest etc. don't have a timestamp and the WM won't
see the mouse events for this action. This actually looks like a problem of
the globally active input mode itself - am I missing something basic?

> The patch for Metacity is two lines (modulo tidyness) and already in
> GNOME bugzilla. The patch for Gtk+ is more complicated because Gtk+
> quite strictly uses the locally active input model (with one exception),
> Owen wants an API simpler than handling ICCCM stuff, and there's also
> the Win32 backend. A large portion of the patch is also filed.

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/