Re: Allowing a11y windows to be on top - bug #136159

Dne pá 16. dubna 2004 18:22 Bill Haneman napsal(a):
> Rob Adams wrote:
> > It shouldn't be ABOVEALL; the window types should be window types, not
> > descriptions of semantics.  Maybe TYPE_ACCESSIBILITY or TYPE_KEYBOARD or
> > something like that.
>
> Hi Rob:
>
> Thanks for your input.  I do disagree with your naming assessment
> though... types like "DOCK" already are semantic.

 And are you sure that the semantics of DOCK are the same like those of a
onscreen keyboard or magnifier? Perhaps it should be first stated what the
expected semantics of them are, because for one I don't know.

> Things other than keyboards (for instance magnifiers) and even
> non-accessibility windows (for instance overlays, transparent windows,
> etc.) may want to declare this type as well.  The real requirement is
> for a window type that's _above_ DOCK, therefore ABOVEALL makes the most
> sense.

 I disagree. If we go this way, we'll end up with ABOVE, ABOVEALL,
REALLYABOVEALL, ABOVEEVERYTHING and hell knows what else, with unclear
meaning. BTW, KWin does keep ABOVE windows above DOCK, I find it more logical
that way.

> I think TYPE_ACCESSIBILITY and TYPE_KEYBOARD are wrong because
> they actually give imply wrong semantic information (fi applied to
> magnifiers, or non-accessibility-specific features).

 I think it's simple to find out who to blame for strange things happening
with e.g. a magnifier window with TYPE_KEYBOARD set.

 KDE Developer