Re: Which definition of "dialog"?

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 02:14:28PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 of September 2003 07:49, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> > There are at least two definitions of "dialog". One definition includes
> > modeless windows like property windows and control panels in GNOME; windows
> > with neither OK nor Cancel. The other does not include these.
>
>  But those control panels still have at least the Close button, don't they?
> (I'm not sure which windows you mean exactly).

They do contain a Close button. (Sadly, IMO.)

> > What is intended in the EWMH spec?
>
>  Why should that matter? Do you have any specific reason to differentiate
> between those two kinds? KDE sets TYPE_DIALOG on all windows that are
> dialogs, even for KControl modules, and I don't see any problem with that.

It matters because one class of window (modeless) should have a close button
in the window frame and the other (modal) shouldn't. If not for having seen
some modeless dialogs with OK and Cancel, I think the _NET_WM_STATE_MODAL
hint would suffice for distinguishing them.

Your response seems to indicate that your definition of dialog includes
modeless dialogs; the first definition I gave. Am I correct? Is that the
definition everyone is using? In other words, is the spec using the same
definition of dialog that the MacOS HIG uses?

I'll not nitpick for a particular nomenclature here. I just need to know
how the spec is to be interpreted.

Cheers,
Greg