Re: incorrect interpretation of window types toolbar and menu

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 04:50:20PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Sunday 31 of August 2003 23:06, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 04:02:26PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> [snip]
> > >
> > >  Menus first - they're almost useless with OpenBox or FVWM (only recent
> > > versions of FVWM). They are on all desktops, they are borderless, and one
> > > cannot move them.
> >
> > We have changed (FVWM developers) this behavior a few days ago:
> > fvwm-2.5.8 interprets _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_MENU as "tear-off menu".
>
>  Ok.
>

> > > [SNIP]
> > >
> > >  Toolbars second - that's not as bad. If you actually manage to find
> > > something that has tear-off toolbars and sets the window type on them,
> > > you'll get no, one or two decorations depending on what you use. Could we
> > > please agree how to decorate them? I think I already asked about this
> > > here once, but I can't find it in the archives :(. I also don't remember
> > > what conclusion there was, if any.
> >
> > My problem here is that, for instance, kpager in KDE 3.0 used
> > _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_TOOLBAR.
>
>  Well, even the KDE3.1 one does that. The KDE API for this used to use only
> 'tool' as the name, I guess the reasons for this are similar like for the
> menu/topmenu problem. For KDE3.2, kpager will be TYPE_UTILITY (I'm not
> actually sure if that's really the right type, but that's definitely better
> than TYPE_TOOLBAR).

It seems to me that kpager should be Sticky and maybe on top. This
does not really match TYPE_UTILITY. However, you can set the correct
_NET_WM_STATE states and _NET_WM_DESKTOP to add this these properties.
For me kpager is a "floating" DOCK or simply a DOCK. No?

> I don't actually see why this should be a significant
> problem for FVWM - it has its own pager.

But you can use fvwm as the KDE window manager (see,
http://fvwm.org/documentation/faq/index.php?no_software_patents=for_ever#2.8).
Then, kpager can be started by the users (in a natural way).

Regards, Olivier