Re: spec licensing

Oops, evolution sent my mail when I wasn't intending.  Sorry.

This is covered in RFC2026. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt

Copyright is assigned to the Internet Society, but not necessarily
until something has become at least a proposed standard.

Below is the current copyright out of the HTTP spec I'm updating,
which I believe is current practice.

The Gnu free documentation license has problems: in particular,
specs need to be modifiable to keep up with additions, etc,
so licenses which (can) restrict modifications for use in further
specifications are clearly bad (and why the GFDL is having its trouble
in debian-legal).

---------
Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003). All Rights Reserved.

This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it or
assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published and
distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any kind,
provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are included
on all such copies and derivative works. However, this document itself
may not be modified in any way, such as by removing the copyright notice
or references to the Internet Society or other Internet organizations,
except as needed for the purpose of developing Internet standards in
which case the procedures for copyrights defined in the Internet
Standards process must be followed, or as required to translate it into
languages other than English.

The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.
This document and the information contained herein is provided on an "AS
IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK
FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT
LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT
INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
------