Re: _NET: Disabling shading

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 22:29, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> My view is that this needs to fit in to a larger replacement plan for
> the MWM hints. The MWM hints currently cover disabling minimization,
> etc.
>
> My view on that replacement plan is that we should stick to the semantic
> window types, and deprecate all hints that explicitly control the window
> controls and other features.

Well I know they won't disappear anytime soon, but in particular for
Wine it is useful to be able to control the window decorations exactly -
we need this to be able to accurately map win32 window styles to the X11
equivalents. It's not clear that a purely semantics based protocol would
make that easy.