Re: No focus on map hint

On Monday 17 of March 2003 17:29, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:05:27AM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Because startup notification right now doesn't have any data providing
> > the timestamp (ID is some unique random unspecified string). But since
> > this mechanism for not focusing newly mapped windows is very similar to
> > startup notification, perhaps this mechanism should become part of it
> > rather than part of the WM spec?
>
> Could certainly add the timestamp to the list of properties on a
> startup notification launch, also.

 But that would mean there would be two way of specifying the timestamp,
either the app would set the property (IM not wanting its window to get
focused), or the WM would set it from the startup notification info. I think
it would be better to have only one way (and I think apps creating new
startup notification sequence for newly mapped window isn't the winner).

 That would mean setting the timestamp would be different from the desktop.
Hmms. I think I'll have to think about this a bit more.

> >  BTW, I can't see the startup notification spec anywhere at
> > www.freedesktop.org, could you put the newest version there?
>
> I've been meaning to, it's just never been moved to the web site.
> It's in CVS under startup-notification/doc/
>
> >  BTW #2 : The startup notification spec has a FIXME about using
> > PropertyNotifyMask being bad choice. In case it's not too late already,
> > we could use StructureNotifyMask instead (like ICCCM manager selections).
>
> Is that better, or will it also send a lot of extra events?

 Since the root window doesn't change, you shouldn't get any "real"
StructureNotify events (well, maybe with XRANDR). The only thing I know that
uses StructureNotifyMask for SendEvent() are ICCCM manager selections
(section 2.8), so there should be less events. Not that I think it would make
a real difference, PropertyChangeMask doesn't flood the apps either.

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/