Re: Drag and drop

>  If nothing else, I find the description quite confusing. A message called
>
> MAY_ACTIVE with the meaning "don't raise" ?

Agreed, the specification is much to vague.

>  But what interests me more: Do you actually have a working implementation
> of
> this? Maybe other WMs do it differently, but I doubt this would work with
> KWin. KWin has a button grab on the client windows, so a ButtonPress event
>
> results in KWin getting it first, raising the window (if KWin is
> configured
> so), and then the event is replayed, and it reaches the application. At
> this
> point, it's too late for the application to ask not to be raised.

Thats why it is a protocol. The wm would have to treat clients supporting
the protocol differently.
But the problem with making it a WM_PROTOCOL is that it doesn't follow the
documented convention
for WM_PROTOCOLS:

All the protocols in which a client can volunteer to take part involve the
window manager sending the client a ClientMessage event and the client taking
appropriate action. For details of the contents of the event, see section
4.2.8. In each case, the protocol transactions are initiated by the window
manager.

 (from ICCCM 4.2.1.7)

Matthias